Proper storage of onions is one of the important steps in the care of harvested crops. To vegetable survived a frosty winter, you must comply with the appropriate technology. Well-ripened bulbs are in a state of complete physical rest and, subject to the temperature and humidity levels, they can be perfectly stored at home.
How can you keep fresh onions at home?
After harvest, dry the roots. To do this, lay out the onions on the balcony or bring to fresh air in the sun. It is desirable that the air temperature was above 30C. Some gardeners practice drying vegetables in the oven at 40C.
In preparing the vegetable for the winter you need to know the rules of cutting before storage. It is forbidden to skip this stage, otherwise the bulbs will quickly rot:Harvesting onions
- After drying, remove excess scales and leave only a neck 5 cm long.
- It is desirable to remove the roots with a sharp knife completely, but so as not to damage the bulbs.
Storage in the basement
In the basement store onions at a temperature not lower than 1C, otherwise it may just freeze. It is impossible to simply lay a vegetable on the floor, you need to prepare special containers:
- plastic boxes;
- wooden boxes.
Other storage methods in the basement:
- linen bags;
- vegetable nets;
- wicker baskets;
- stockings and nylon.
You can organize special hooks in the basement to hang bags or stockings on them, baskets. The main thing is that the packaging had ventilation holes.Storage of onions in the basement in braids
Storage in the apartment
In the apartment onions are stored on the balcony or in a place where the temperature is maintained below 1-5C. For storage of root vegetables in the apartment, you can prepare the following packaging:
- Wicker baskets. Baskets are well ventilated air and do not give heads to rot. The bulbs are adjusted so that there is no pressure on the bottom layer;
- Carton boxes. You can store roots in boxes, only periodically vegetables should be sorted out, so that the rotten fruit does not infect the rest. In the boxes on the side to make small holes for ventilation;
- Polypropylene mesh. A great option for storage in the apartment. The bulbs are not compressed, and the net is well breathable;
- Fabric bags. Prepack the vegetable so that the layer does not exceed 30 cm;
- Stockings nylon. They do not pass moisture, but well ventilate the air.
It is not recommended to store onions near beets, potatoes. You can sprinkle with chalk heads. It retains moisture well. You can put the vegetable in the refrigerator, where the temperature is not lower than 3C. Closer to spring you need to move the root to a warmer place at t + 18C.Storage of onions in the apartment in a box
Ways to preserve green and bulb onions at home
Green onions can be stored in the refrigerator in the following way:
- in a glass container with a lid. It is a glass bottle or jar with a tight-fitting lid that will allow you to keep the vegetable fresh for 4-5 weeks for a long time. It is advisable to take the dishes higher so that the green feathers do not bend;
- plastic bag. Take a bow and put it in bags so that the feathers remain straight. The end of the package should be tied, and pierce several thin holes on the sides so that there is ventilation;
- to wrap in paper. You can take kraft paper. Onion wash, dry and wrap.
Greens can be saved for the winter with the help of salting:
- For salting you need to pick a vegetable well, wash and cut into slices.
- Prepare the glass container, sterilize it and dry it.
- Put 2-3 cm thick onion into the container and add salt, then add another layer of soil and salt, and so on. The bank must be complete. Salt will prevent mold.
- Close the jar lid and send in the refrigerator.
Another way to keep feathers for long is to dry them. For this you need:
- Wash, dry and cut into rings.
- Lay out the rings on the grid and dry in the oven at 50 ° C for about 2 hours.
Freezing in the refrigerator or freezer
You can freeze the green feathers in the freezer in the following ways:
- Wash and dry the vegetable and cut into thin slices. Take a plastic bag and pack it in small quantities in sacks.
- Chopped onion rings mixed with a little butter and spread on silicone molds. Load them into the freezer and use them in portions as intended.
- Mix the chopped vegetable with vegetable oil and load into small plastic containers or molds.
Storage in the cellar
Green feathers can be stored in the cellar only on the condition that it has firm and strong feathers without defects. In order not to wilted, you should wrap the vegetable in a film, having previously cleared it from the ground or folded it neatly in wooden boxes covered with film. Store at a temperature of 1-2C for about 4-6 weeks.
To store onions for a long time: wipe and remove damaged leaves. To keep fresh greens, you need to leave only the strongest feathers. If onions are used for drying, salting, freezing, you can wash it and cook it according to the recipe. For fresh onions, the optimum temperature is 1-8C. For freezing -8. Frozen greens can be stored for 1 year, dried for 2 years, pickled with salt for six months, fresh up to 2 months.
The bulb and green look contains a huge amount of vitamins and is perfect for filling many dishes: soups, meats, pickles, salads. The main thing when properly stored onions retains its properties. Enjoy your meal!