Previously it was believed that cucumbers are unpretentious in agricultural technology, grow almost by themselves. It is a delusion to grow a good crop of cucumbers in conditions of an unfavorable ecological background with weather surprises unlikely. But if you take into account the advice of experienced gardeners, you can harvest a rich harvest of greens throughout the summer, until the onset of cold weather.
Sowing seeds in open ground
It is quite possible to get a really big harvest in your garden if you follow the technology and perform timely monitoring. The main rules of agricultural engineering include the following activities:
- quality planting material
- selection of varieties and seeds, preparing them for sowing;
- soil preparation (fertilizer and disinfection);
- the procedure for sowing seeds, seedlings;
- loosening and weeding;
- feed dressing;
- disease prevention;
- fruit picking.
Cucumbers love nutritious loose soil, so they begin to engage in site preparation in the fall, especially if they are planted in open ground. The whole site is dug up mixed with manure and humus. In spring, the earth must again be dug up and enriched with organic matter. Begin seeding only after 7-10 days. Before planting, disinfection is carried out by watering the beds with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Before sowing, seeds are germinated for quick germination. Only germinated specimens are used. In the soil, the seeds are buried by 2-3 cm. When planting seedlings, 3-4 seedlings are distributed per 1 m2.Sowing seeds in open ground
Watering is carried out exclusively with warm water, cold inhibits the development of the plant. Before the appearance of the fruits, irrigation is carried out once every 2-3 days, after the start of the formation of the fruits, the intensity increases to daily procedures. It is important to prevent stagnant water in the ground.
At the initial stage of plant formation, it is necessary to regularly loosen, which is often combined with weeding. A lot of weeds near the cucumbers is a danger to the plant, so you should not run the beds.
A week after planting or thinning the seedlings, fertilizers are introduced. The working solution is prepared on the basis of the following components:
- a bucket of water;
- 10 g of ammonium nitrate;
- 10 g of superphosphate;
- 10 g of potassium salt.
Consumption rate: 1 l per 1 bush.
After 2 weeks re-feeding is introduced, increasing the amount of mineral substances by 2 times per 10 liters of water.Proper watering cucumbers
Favorable factors of high yield
To increase the yield, attention should be paid to all factors affecting the development and growth of cucumbers.
General rules for landing on the lunar calendar in May and June
Many gardeners are planning work on seeding and planting seedlings, based on the recommended dates of the lunar calendar. As the modern scientists have found out, the Moon really influences the intensity of development of the grown crops and can increase germination. The principle of transplantation is based on the fact that all aboveground plants are tedious to plant after the new moon, and the roots after the full moon. According to popular beliefs during the full moon and the next couple of days you can neither plant nor sow anything. But on the new moon it is time to sow above-ground plants.
Selection of optimal varieties for high yields
The yield primarily depends on the variety of cucumbers, but when choosing it is worth considering the climate in the region and the growing conditions for the selected hybrids. Breeders put a lot of effort to fill the market with so-called universal varieties, characterized by high yield and strong immunity. Among these:
- Kibriya and others
Fertilizers, feedings and mulching
When growing cucumbers used organic and mineral fertilizers for fertilizing. According to the method of making they are foliar and root. Everyone chooses the appropriate options for how to fertilize, but experts recommend alternating between them.
In total 4 feedings are introduced:
- 2 weeks after landing;
- at the beginning of the formation of inflorescences;
- in the midst of fruiting;
- In 2 weeks.
In order to prevent the drying of the soil, the beds are mulched. Sawdust, peat or dried manure are used as mulch. This shelter inhibits the growth of weeds, which reduces the amount of weed to a minimum.
Strengthening the root system
For long-term fruiting, it is important to have a strong measles system. Plant need to help form adventitious roots. To do this, gently press the stem to the ground and sprinkle it with soil.
Getting rid of the barren bushes
Conducting regular inspection of the beds, it is necessary to remove from the bushes damaged sheets, roll-ups and fruits, they reduce the fertility of the plant. Also unnecessary on the plantation are considered poor harvest lashes.The cause of underdevelopment may be associated with illness or other problems that are better localized. The soil where the plant grew should be treated with a solution of potassium permanganate.
Passing is done in the case of forming a good scourge, but without fruits. To this end, in the axils of the first five leaves, lateral shoots and ovaries are removed in the axils of the first 3 leaves. To make a cut carefully with a sharp tool, so as not to damage the stem and other shoots. Correctly carry out the procedure when the length of the stepsons reaches 3-6 cm.
The garter of a whip should be done so that the greens and the stems do not rot due to an excess of moisture. In addition, cucumbers are very fond of light, which is provided in full by the vertical beds. It is easy to build a trellis: at the edges of a row, drive supports into the ground, tie ropes on them and pull the cord along them, which will twist the stem (not tight!) Several times.Proper cuicing of cucumbers
Additional actions to increase yield
In addition to the generally accepted rules of agricultural engineering, many gardeners use their secrets to increase yields. Among the effective, and most importantly proven, are the following tips.
- Before planting seedlings it is imperative to investigate the soil. With a high occurrence of groundwater, it is necessary to switch to growing a culture in a greenhouse with an equipped drainage system. As an option to apply the hydrogel, which will pull over the excess soil moisture.
- The plant belongs to the heat-loving. Many do not even suspect that it is impossible to water with running water from a highway or a well, since this shortens the fruiting period. The used liquid should be settled in the range of 23-24 degrees.
- Fruit harvesting should be done regularly, regardless of whether it is daily or 1 time in 2 days. Irregularity helps to reduce yields. During harvesting, it is necessary to handle the lash carefully; injury to the stem or branches also has a negative effect on fruiting.
- For photosynthesis, cucumbers need carbon dioxide. When grown in a greenhouse, there is often a shortage of it, so there is a need for artificial replenishment. It is easy to do this: grind the soil with manure (a layer of 3-5 cm), light the gas burner for a while, or spread pieces of dry ice along the beds.
- Accelerate the growth of the plant, and strengthen the immunity of feeding from milk. Every two weeks, milk, diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 2, is introduced under the root.
- The yield is influenced by neighboring crops. Some create cucumber protection against pests and diseases, others reduce fructification. Close recommended to plant legumes (beans, asparagus, peas), pepper, eggplant, etc.
Lunar calendar planting cucumbers for 2018
According to the lunar calendar in 2018, disembarkation work is determined by the following numbers:
- aboveground crops - February (16-28), March (17-29), April (16-28);
- root crops - February (1-15), March (3-16), April (1-15).
Taking into account the zodiacal constellation conducive to the growth of cucumbers, the landing is recommended to be carried out: in March from 19 to 24 and 27.28; in April from 5 to 9 and from 20 to 24.
In some regions, only June is suitable for disembarkation. The described tips and recommendations are feasible and affordable, so the success of the new crop in the hands of the gardener. In the harvest year you should not miss the opportunity to remove a record number of fruits from a small garden or plantation.